6 - Miss Houghton and Mrs Lipscombe
Welcome back after the Christmas holidays, we hope you all had a relaxing break.
Topics this term -
This term we will be building on what we have learnt about European exploration during the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries and creating a balanced argument about whether this benefitted the world. After half term our topic will be Victorians. In geography we are exploring extreme weather and how this is affected by global warming. In science we will investigate light, how it travels and how shadows are formed. Our Re topic is Hinduism and after half term, Christianity. Our PSHE topic is about emotional and physical choices.
This is a relatively short term with just over 11 teaching weeks until the Easter break. We will then have another 4 weeks after the Easter holidays before children sit the SAT’s. The time will fly so please support your child(ren) with their learning and contact us if there are any problems so we can deal with these promptly.
PE lessons will continue to be taught on Mondays and Thursdays. Pupils should come to school wearing their PE kit on these days. Pupils can also wear PE kit to school on days when they are attending a lunchtime/after school sports club. On all other days, pupils should wear school uniform. Please ensure that long hair is tied back at all times and jewellery is restricted to a pair of stud earrings and a watch.
- Please encourage your child to read at least three times a week.
- Maths homework will be set each week.
- It is important that pupils are fluent using times tables as these underpin a lot of Year 6 maths. Please encourage your child to practise these using Times Tables Rockstars and Tackling tables.
Mobile phones If your child needs to bring a phone to school, they may do so. They should place their phone in the class bag first thing in the morning; this will be secured in the office for the day. Pupils will be able to retrieve their phone at the end of the day but should keep them switched off until they are off the school premises. We have spoken to the children about this and explained it is for safeguarding purposes
Important dates for your diary:
- Careers days Wednesday 14th - Friday 16th February2024
- Half term - Monday 19th to Friday 24th February 2024
- Parent Consultations - Tuesday 5th March and Thursday 7th March 2024 (details to follow)
- World Book Day - 7th March 2024 (details to follow)
- Red Nose Day - Friday 15th March 2024 (details to follow)
- World Poetry Day - Thursday 21st March 2024
- Last day of term - Thursday 28th March 2024
- Children return to school - Monday 15th April 2024
- Week beginning 13th May - SAT’s week
Please also check the school’s weekly newsletter and website for any added or amended dates.
Thank you for your support